Tahitian Plumeria

Final painting

Final painting

Today was an experiment in layers. I started out with the intention of just using the casein and nothing else. I started with a left over piece of dark blue heavy stock and just through down some orange, red, yellow layers with broad strokes. Then I added the white layer hoping that the color would come through. Then I added more detail to the flower layering in red/pink and yellow. I did scratch through it a little in the petal areas…which revealed a nice dark undertone. The background was simply an experiment in layering in heavier color. After all this I just couldn’t help myself and I just went in with the graphite…nice dark soft 4B pencil. I like the way the layering turned out, this will take lots of experimenting to really know how this all works out. It’s a discovery process! Size is 3″ x 3 1/2″

Roughing in the flower

Roughing in the flower

Base layer

Base layer

4 thoughts on “Tahitian Plumeria

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s